Saturday, May 14, 2011

Ring around Calgary

I bought a Ray ring flash ($200) the other day and tried it out last night. I was told that a ring flash will give me a shadow-less image, but you do lose a stop of flash output due to the extra distance the light has to travel. It's a neat tool, and it attracts a lot of attention.

My friend Mike posed for a few photos which allowed me to gauge the ring flash. I noticed I had to push it to +2 TTL metering, and that I was in a lot closer than I thought I would have to be. When I put on the fish-eye lens with the ring flash on, you get a neat effect where the ring flash is part of the photo.

I then used the ring flash to frame the city view and dropped the flash unit down to 1/128th power as I only needed a small burst of light. After that, with night coming on, I took off the ring and set up a tripod, waiting for the office lights to come on.

Future uses for the ring flash will be at weddings for cool portraits, photo booth photos, and generally looking a little different when using a flash.

No comments:

Post a Comment