Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Full Moon in May

Last night was an almost full moon. Something like 98.8% which is close enough for me, so I packed up and drove up to Nosehill in the NW to look East and get the moonrise.


I arrived and got set up, and positioned myself between the cars in the parking lot full of couples making out, and friends drinking. Downtown was just enjoying the last seconds of sunset, and I quickly shot a few frames in that direction. Then the moon started to climb off the horizon.

I love watching the moon on the horizon as it looks huge, but it also suffers from so much distortion due to the atmosphere, dust, pollution as to give a hazy photo. But if you don't look too close, it's a pretty photo.

Last time I shot the moon was four years ago when I was a student at SAIT. Then I used a borrowed 400mm F4 lens, with a 1.4x teleconverter on my 8MP 30D. This time I had my 300mm F2.8, with my 18MP 7D which gave me a beautiful amount of detail on the moon. The advances in sensors allowed me to get an image close to my first attempt without buying a longer lens. Can't wait to try this out with a 5D MkIII when it gets released. I hear they are thinking 30-35MP.

No comments:

Post a Comment