Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Soccer Stars

Tonight I spent a few hours and went out to shoot my friend's child at a local soccer game. It's early June in Calgary, so that means cloudy skies, jackets, blankets, and a toque. Most of the kids are around five years old, oblivious to the rules of soccer. They are just out there to have fun, and despite the coaches yelling at them to "pass to the middle!!" they just kick the ball and laugh about it.

I had a blast shooting the kids during the game, and used this game as an opportunity to hone my skills with a 300mm 2.8. I started at the sidelines, but as the kids play on a field the same size as a swimming pool, I had to move way back to fit them into the shot.

What was really cool was seeing the emotions that the players go through. One little girl was just running her heart out, but then fell near the ball and was kicked by accident. She was comforted by the opposing coach, and then carried off in the arms of her dad for the rest of the game.

I am really happy with the results of an hour of my time. Hopefully these photos will lead to other opportunities in the future.

1 comment:

  1. Awesome photos! Looks like more fun than watching the Canucks last night...

    ReplyDelete