Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Screaming baby photos...

My friends came out from Toronto the other weekend and asked for a photo shoot with their 10-month-old. Sadly the whole weekend was spent with their baby in and out of clinics with a fever and an ear infection. Not the greatest way to get the baby in a good mood for a photo shoot. Needless to say when they arrived she was crying, angry at being woken up from the car ride, and just plain grumpy.

We did a quick photo shoot outside with the spring flowers in the background, but she didn't like nature much, so we moved inside and then downstairs to the basement where I could hang up a white backdrop. With my model on a soft cream blanket I put a single flash aiming up to the ceiling on the floor and the quickly dialed in the correct exposure. A few toys sprinkled around her allowed me to show a shallow depth of field rather than just her isolated on a white background.

I used a 50mm 1.4 lens for the shoot which gave me about 5' working area where I could move around and look for different angles. One of my favorite shots was with the flower we brought in from the garden. The color really pops and I loved watching her rip and tear apart this flower while handing out the pieces to anyone around.


Mom and Dad did a great job at keeping her anger at bay, giving her lots of attention without over-stimulating her and we had a lot of fun with the shots. I am starting to think I have a knack with babies. Perhaps I should go into baby photography full-time.

No comments:

Post a Comment