Tuesday, February 2, 2010

The cure for the winter blues..

I have never put much faith in disorders for some reason. I tend to think that people who claim Seasonal Affective Disorder (SAD) are simply looking for a day off from work where they can catch up on laundry or watch movies while lazing on the sofa.

But recently I have seen changes in my own personality. I haven't picked up my camera in a week!! That's eons of time in a photographer's world. I asked myself what the problem was, what's keeping me from my passion?

I came to the realization that January in Calgary, Alberta is a dreary time for me, as I don't ski or partake in any outdoor activities. I am a "hot and humid" kind of guy I guess. (Although in all honesty, I have to admit that hot and humid makes me sleepy, so I can't win.)

Thankfully I have friends like Anna and Cai, who were able to pull me out of my hibernation and into the real world again. Anna organized a day trip to a senior centre where we would take pictures and talk to seniors for a school project that she is involved in. I was brought in as the photographer and I had a great day because of it. So,... thanks Anna.

We set up a little photo booth area where seniors could come and sit for a quick impromptu photo session. Meeting these people was a treat for me as they all had great personalities and amazing stories. I really hope that they enjoyed having strangers in their midst and that they like the end results. I think the photos speak for themselves and show that they had a good time. Nothing like meeting new people to brighten up your day.

No comments:

Post a Comment